Friday, January 07, 2005

it'S tHE fRiDaY bLueS aGaiN!

Why do I always feel lousy and blue-y on a Frday? I'm feeling lethargic, and macam no patience at all today.. This is all oh so bad!

How I wish I can just go home straight after work and sleep. Speaking of which, malam tadi, I didn't have a good night's rest. I kept having this dream of how I couldn't breathe properly. Macam I tried breathing, but somehow my lungs are blocked.

Scary. I woke up a few times grasping for air.

Do you think I'm gonna die.. soon? Am I sick?

So anyways, because of my lack of sleep, I'm like so so so grumpy today.

To make it worse, I can't go home straight after work today sebab I ada this stupid assignment kat Or*ange. Sheesh. What I'd do to wriggle my way out of the assignment..

Initially, I thought it'd be alright to go (to Ora*nge).. sebab Sab*b kata nak gi ngan I (yippee..). But then, she's down with flu pulak. And all the friends yang I thought would be fun to go with semua cannot make it. Suz*i is in Kuan*tan, Ah*madH is helping Red Cr*escent pack some stuff tonight (of all the nights lah kan..), Lyn*a ada yoga, Ghan*esh is uncontactable, Mar*an ada family dinner, Fre*d is off (I think) but don't know where he is cuz he's not replying my sms, Sue ada plans.. sigh..

I know there are some people yang willing to go, but I don't wanna ask them. How lah?? Ayo.. it's just my luck lah.. The ones I want are unavailable. Hence I'm left with the unwanted ones.. Urgh.

So itu lah. Macam malas nak pergi. Times like these I feel so alone. Macam dah takde kawan. Times like these make me wish I have someone to call my own. Then I can drag him pi mana-mana pun kan? And maybe lie in his arms and grumble about work and feeling stupid and all sambil tengok the bands perform.

Speaking of which, can I just say I dah penat baca all the stories on the tsuna*mi? It's getting on my nerves lah. I mean, it's the same stories over and over again. So yes, many people have died. So yes, many people are now left without homes and families. So yes, many people are now picking up the pieces slowly.

The thing is, I think even those affected by the tsuna*mi are done crying. So why must the papers remind them of all the misery over and over again? It's gonna be close to two weeks since it happened and the papers have been full of the tsuna*mi stories. Just think kan.. N*ST alone gives at least 10 pages for the tsuna*mi stories. That's '10 pages per day X 12 days (including today)'. That equals to 120 pages of tsuna*mi already!!

Now I know it's a major catastrophe and all.. but unless you tell me something I don't know, I just don't want to read another sob story or see another sad picture of some mother crying and all..

I sound so inhumane kan? But tragedies and deaths are all part and parcel of life kan? You've got no choice but to move on..

Read the papers, and you will see that those interviewed share the same sentiment. So far, I've not read about a person who committed suicide sebab his or her loved ones have perished.

Read the papers and it's always the same old stories: Many are providing humanitarian aid (but these efforts are still not enough apparently.. and frankly, we all know that it will never be enough), more donations (and we all know it takes much more than money to rebuild cities and towns that have been set up decades ago), survivors' tales and how they're coping with life now, etc.

Cuma occasionally je, you come across an intelligent piece on the tsuna*mi.. like the one by Sy*ed that appeared semalam. He wrote something about how the media must strike a balance between publishing everything (even the gory details) and respecting those who are affected by the tsuna*mi. (This is a good article to analyse if you're a mass communication student!)

And he's right. It's hard to find the right balance and editors can only do so much. What if one of the decomposed bodies happened to be your family? Would you still like to share the picture with the whole world? But the whole world needs to know what's happening at those affected places kan, so does this mean they want to see the pictures? And it is the job of journalists to share their experiences. After all, not everyone can go to Ach*eh or Sr*i Lank*a and witness for themselves the effects of tsuna*mi kan?

Sigh. I'm rambling. It shows that I'm tired and my brains just want to shut down. I don't want to read another tsuna*mi story, see another gruesome picture or hear anyone talk about it.

I want to live in my Uthopian world where everything is nice and quiet.

ps./ Um*ar just called. We're meeting up soon!! Hurray.. And he's such an angel.. he agreed to temankan I malam ni.. See.. all is well the end.. (I hope).*all smiles*

1 Comments:

Blogger shookmeallnightlong said...

the thing is my dear is to make people emphatise and keep on contributing.

The real trick though is for the media to sustain the story and not stop totally once a new issue like chicken rape or a man being rape by a group serial She-male rapist.

Too often our media hyping one thing and ignoring others, happened in the past and I don't think it'll change soon.

I sure hope this won't happened to this Tsunami thing though I won't bet my house on it.

Just remember that rebuilding a house, the road that makes it accessible, the hospital to treat the occupants, the shops to provide the necessities and rebuilding the school to educate them will take years if not decades. And I'm not talking exclusively about the Physical stuff either.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home